Haiti / Haiteen
Barrels of blessings FAQ 2022
Over the years of doing these shipping containers and Barrels we get frequent asked questions that we would like to answer for everyone.
Why not just send money to Haiti for them to buy things directly? Wouldn’t shipping barrels be more expensive?
- The exchange of money makes this a very difficult process. First, we must exchange to US Dollars. Then to ‘Haitian dollars.’ The buying power is much higher when buying items in Canada. We would save almost 30-50% in costs based on the broader range of products available at competitive prices in Canada. Most items are imported and not made in Haiti and are in short supply and subject to global increases making this program even more important. As an example of this, 6 boxes of cereal could cost over $200 USD depending on supply and demand (see posts from September 2020). There are many items that are simply not available.
- Most items sent are donations, packed by volunteers who believe in the project. The shipping costs are also covered by direct financial donations. We have arranged shipping through FEJ that allows listed items to enter duty free. Shipping costs about $250.
- The program helps provide a variety of products that would otherwise not be able to get locally such as school products and hygiene essentials such as toothpaste. This provides a better quality of life. The barrels can help all ages. Even barrels themselves are very useful after unloaded. Families can use them for safely storing water or other perishable items.
- Direct financial aid to Haiti would be most needed to pay for education for Haitian children as schooling is not covered, or for medical care. Having to pay for food along with these additional costs makes it difficult to meet all their needs.
How often are we sending barrels to Haiti?
- We are trying to send barrels every 4-6 weeks. We will be shipping out the next one this Wednesday. Last one we send was Feb 23rd, 2022, and next is May 4th. While we try for every month, we have been able to do so every 2 months.
- It would take more Product donations and funding for this to be possible.
- You can see the pictures and comments through out the site from those who receive the barrels. Scroll down for these examples.
What products are most needed right now for Haiti?
- The greatest need is always food and that being staples, Rice, Beans, cooking oil,
- The full list would be as follows.
-All Baby food/Formula
Where can we bring donations?
- For those local to Havelock, you can bring donations to:
The Havelock Center
30 George St.
Mondays at the back door: 10:30am-12:00pm.
Thursdays at the front door: 6:00pm-8:00.
Or email firstname.lastname@example.org for alternatives.
Items can also be mailed to:
Mission of Tears
ATTN, Gord Lewis
P.O BOX 747
ON K0L 1Z0
-Anyone who is outside of the local area, you can also order items online through Amazon and ship directly to us at the above address.
Please also consider making a direct donation via the below link: